Mark October 27th on your calendars for the 2013 Legs for Literacy event. Last year was our biggest and best event to date with Mother Nature providing us with perfect race day conditions. Thanks to the support of our sponsors and participants, we donated $55,000 to local literacy initiatives in 2012! Our 2013 planning has already begun so stay tuned for updates over the coming months at www.legsforliteracy.com or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LegsforLiteracyCourirPourLire.
Once again we will feature four races- 5k, 10k, half and full marathons. Based on runner feedback, runners really enjoy our route: we plan some minor adjustments that will be designed to make it even better. We will also have a Youth Athletic Event on race weekend. This year it will take place at the Stade Moncton Stadium! Encourage your children to take part.
Did you know - Our course is a Boston Qualifier (certified course NB-2011-082-BDC) and half marathon times can be used for qualification at the New York City Marathon!
- October 31, 2012 - Winners of the 2012 School Cheer Challenge - Congratulations Mathieu Martin!
- October 28, 2012 - Nice article on the employees of the Caisse populaires acadiennes - http://legsforliteracy.com/site/media/Parent/CAISSE.pdf
- October 24, 2012 - Volunteer draw prize winners - http://legsforliteracy.com/en/home/drawprizes.aspx
- October 22, 2012 - Pierre Giroux's story made the news, as well as our event: http://www.globalmaritimes.com/video/legs+for+literacy/video.html?v=2294764045#stories
- October 22, 2012 - Unofficial photos compliments of Bill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHo2f_uCbmE&feature=BFa&list=UUJZHqZ8n85V35u0mbIAhZkQ
- October 22, 2012 - Check out the story in the paper today (timestranscript) - http://legsforliteracy.com/en/home/newsstories.aspx
- October 22, 2012 - Check out the story in the paper today (l'acadie nouvelle) - http://www.capacadie.com/sports/2012/10/21/lee-roy-et-patty-blanchard-couronnes-a-moncton
- October 20, 2012 - This year the Fondation des caisses populaires acadiennes is sponsoring 230 of their employees to participate in AZ Legs for Literacy. We would like to congratulate them on encouraging an active lifestyle and showing a terrific corporate spirit!
- October 20, 2012 - This year RBC has generously supported us and has several employees participating in the event. We would like to thank them for their $2,500.00 donation and their employees for helping contribute to an event that promotes an active lifestyle while raising money for a good cause.
- October 18, 2012 - Road closures - http://legsforliteracy.com/en/home/roadclosures.aspx
- October 18, 2012 - Traffic Disruptions - http://legsforliteracy.com/en/home/trafficdisruptions.aspx
- October 17, 2012 - See our list of expo speakers and exhibitors: http://legsforliteracy.com/en/home/theevent/schedule.aspx
- October 17, 2012 - Don't forget to visit the Recharge With Milk team after you cross the finish line, to pick up a chocolate milk.
- October 15, 2012 - Our CBC Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H_FLpwIPF4&feature=autoplay&list=ULadgfES0yGmA&playnext=2
- October 14, 2012 - We would like to welcome CBC as a media sponsor for our event. Check out this link.
- October 14, 2012 - Press release - October 20th and 21st is race weekend for literacy in Greater Moncton!
- October 10, 2012 - We have a parking map on line to assist you with race day parking. A few notes: ALC is leaving the gate open on their lot next to the train tracks on Foundry Street (right hand side of the street, first lot you come to when entering Foundry from Main). There will be some parking at the Delta Beausejour (Assomption Place lot). The map will include a diagram of other downtown areas where parking is available
- October 8, 2012 - For the first time in our history, we must cap our event. This will enable us to maintain a quality event for our participants and not overtax our volunteers. The limit will be 2700 participants. Thank you for your support!
- October 1, 2012 - We would like to welcome Goodlife Fitness as a Legs for Literacy Sponsor. They are supplying us with 4 one year memberships that will be awarded to two volunteers and two race participants that register by Friday, October 19th. The winners will be announced at the expo on Saturday, October 20th. Thank you for your generous contribution!
- October 1, 2012 - We are pleased to announce that the ”Fondation des caisses populaires acadiennes” is our Pasta Dinner Sponsor. Each year they encourage their employees to become more physically active by participating in our event. Thank you for your continued support!
- September 30, 2012 - We are pleased to announce that Spielo and Majesta are the newest sponsors of Legs for Literacy. Spielo will be the title sponsor of the 5k event and Majesta will be the title sponsor of the half marathon.
- September 22, 2012 - Now that the kids are in school, it is the perfect time to encourage your children to take part in our Kids Athletic Event at the Moncton Stadium. It is open to grades K to 8 and gives your child the opportunity to try out track and field events on the same field as the pros. This year it is $5.00 to register and each child receives a medal and t-shirt (first 250 to register). They can register at http://www.trackie.com/online-registration/register.php?id=585.
- September 22, 2012 - This year our expo will feature: Advanced Health and Physiotherapy, Mike's Bike Shop, A Human Touch Massage Therapy (also providing services on race day), Goodlife Fitness, Running Room, CBC, BioPed, Caisses populaires acadiennes, and Moncton Regional Learning Council
- September 22, 2012 - We are pleased to announce that Subway is Legs for Literacy newest race sponsor. They will be the title sponsor of our 10k event. Check out their Commit to Fit campaign at http://www.freshenergy.com/committofit/?p=overview.
- September 14, 2012 - The route map is now available on line!
- September 1, 2012 - This year our starting line has moved. We will be starting in front of the Scotia Bank on Main Street and using the Delta Beausejour as our expo and pasta dinner location. The 5k and 10k routes have changed and details will be posted shortly. The half and full marathon routes will remain the same except for a slight adjustment to allow for the new start location. All routes will be posted soon.
- September 1, 2012 - We would like to thank all that wrote, tweeted, or talked to their city officials about opening up some city streets for our event. We are pleased to announce that both the City of Moncton and City of Dieppe have agreed to let us use some of their streets. This takes the 5k and 10k participants in a loop instead of out and back on the trail. We hope this will help with the congestion problems we have had in the past. Details of the route changes will be posted on the web site soon.
- We are delighted to announce Dairy Farmers of Canada are Legs for Literacy's newest Race Sponsor - signing on as Full Marathon title sponsor under the name “Recharge with Milk Full Marathon”. For more information about the post-workout attributes of chocolate milk, go to www.rechargewithmilk.ca.
- July 31, 2012 - We have improved our bibs this year. Your first name will be printed on the front (register early for this) and the chip will be on the back.
- July 31, 2012 - We would like to welcome Medavie Blue Cross as our Health and Wellness sponsor and thank them for their support!
- July 18, 2012 - We would like to welcome Hawk Communications as a media sponsor for our event and thank them for their support!
- July 8, 2012 - The link for accomodations is now live - www.deltabeausejour.com/1012legs. This year the Delta Beausejour will be our host hotel and the location of our new start line.
- June 22, 2012 - Clinics are starting soon - The Running Room will be starting their marathon and half marathon clinics July 5th. Click here for more info.
- May 31, 2012 - The Youth Athletic Event is Saturday, October 20th. Registration is now open at http://www.trackie.com/online-registration/register.php?id=585. It is an excellent opportunity for your children to participate in a variety of track and field events with qualified instructors.
- March 19, 2012 - This year we are a RunNB Super Series event for the half marathon distance.
- Did you know - Our course is a Boston Qualifier (certified course NB-2011-082-BDC) and half marathon times can be used for qualification at the New York City Marathon!
January 9, 2012 - Our annual general meeting is taking place on January 24th in Boardroom 2, 7:00 PM at the City of Moncton's Operations Centre located on Worthington Ave near the Coliseum. To ensure we have adequate seating capacity, we would appreciate a response if you plan to attend - legsforliteracy.com.