Volunteering Q & A’s
1. Where do I go on Race Weekend?
Saturday: If your volunteer posting is at the Delta Beausejour, for the expo or race kit pick up please sign in 30 minutes beforehand at the volunteer room located n the Mezzanine level ( 2nd floor). If you are volunteering for the Family Run Walk, please present yourself to the chairperson before 9 AM at Riverfront Park, Moncton. It is important that we know if you have arrived.
Sunday: If you are part of Race Kit Pick Up, Start/Finish line crew, Food Tent, or any duties in the Celebration Plaza or inside the hotel go to the Volunteer Room to sign in 30 minutes beforehand. If you are a course marshal, please be at your location at the time advised in the e-mail which you will be receiving.
2. Where can I pick up my Volunteer T-shirt? Your Volunteer shirt and safety vest for those on the route will be distributed either at Volunteer T-shirt pick up on Saturday at the Volunteer Room of the Delta, or at an information session held approx. 10 days before the event. Details will be sent to all volunteers.
3. When is the Volunteer Centre open? Saturday 9-5 Sunday 6 AM
4. If I need to change or cancel the shift which I signed up for, or I forget which shifts I signed up for, who do I contact? Please contact the Volunteer coordinator.
5. How do I contact the volunteer coordinator? Email legsforliteracy.com or gmail.com or yahoo.ca
6. I’ve registered for a specific job. Am I guaranteed to get that position? Although we will do our very best to grant you the position which you signed up for, there are times when it is necessary to re-allocate volunteers based on needs at that time. We appreciate your willingness to move to another role.
7. I plan on biking to the event. Is there safe storage for my bike? Depending on where you are placed, bikes can be locked on route or in the Race Plaza.
8. Will there be a place to store my belongings? Yes, for volunteers working inside the hotel or near the Start/Finish there will be a secure area in the Volunteer Centre. Please bring only one bag for storage, as space is limited. Legs for Literacy, however is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
9. What are the benefits of volunteering with the Legs for Literacy Race Week-End? Volunteer commemorative long sleeve T-shirt, chance to win draw prizes, Certificate of Achievement, and satisfaction in knowing that you helped a world-class event!
10. What should I wear while volunteering? Each volunteer will receive a Legs for Literacy long sleeve t shirt to be worn during the event. Volunteers who are working on the streets as course marshals will be provided with a safety vest. Please wear this on top of your clothing to make you more visible to motorists and easily identifiable to participants, spectators and fellow volunteers. Dress in layers because weather conditions can change during your shift.
11. Will food be provided? A variety of beverages including coffee, tea, juice, water will be available in the volunteer room during your shift. Pizza will be provided for those working the expo. Those stationed on the course should bring a lunch if posted for longer than a 2-hour shift. We will try to do a coffee run for these volunteers, but it is not always possible.
12. I’ve registered for more than one shift…… where can I hang out? You are always welcome in the Volunteer Room on the mezzanine level of the hotel.
13. If I am posted on the route, how do I get to my placement? All volunteers are responsible to get their own transportation to and from their posting.
14. Will the race take place if it is raining? The sun always shines on race day! Yes, it will take place if it is raining or windy so dress appropriately.
15. Should I bring my cell phone if I am posted on the route? Yes, a cell phone is good to have for the safety of the race participants.
16. Who do I contact if a problem arises during the race? You will be given contact numbers for your route captain and the volunteer co-ordinators.